The hope of spring is on the horizon, and with it, we’re thinking about freshening up our spaces both at home and at work. As you’re headed to the office (don’t worry, we’ll cover your commute another day), here are 5 Actionable Ways to ESG Clean Your Office.
- Commitment to eliminate plastic water bottles.
Start with you. Bring a reusable water bottle to work and be the person who spotlights others using their reusable containers.“Hey Jack! I love that REI water bottle color!” Bonus points for REI as more than 70 percent of annual profits are invested back into the outdoor community.”Melanie, where on earth did you find that Stanley cup, I’ve been looking everywhere!”
Seek out water filling stations; if your office doesn’t have one.
- Put the recycling bin (clearly labeled with what to recycle) in convenient spaces.
If you’ve ever stood in front of a trash and recycling bin wondering what can go where – I see you! Have clear signage and access to your recycling bins to encourage their proper use.
Here’s a great example – check with your waste management provider to see what they recommend.
- Ask the person who orders in your office to be sure the products purchased are all recyclable. This is an easy standard to set moving forward.
- When you’re getting lunch brought in, seek to minimize packaging by ordering catering style, or if you’re NYC-based, check out the amazing businesses that work with reusable containers: https://www.deliverzero.com/
- Identify a leader in the office who shares your convocation and can support these changes as they move up the chain of command. Remember: 57% of consumers are willing to change their purchasing habits to help reduce negative environmental impact. (Here’s the research from IBM:https://www.ibm.com/downloads/cas/EXK4XKX8) Use your changes to make an impact.
Do you have an example of how you’ve brought more sustainable and environmentally friendly choices to your office? Share them in the comments! S